Hi all! It’s Lori from The Kitchen Whisperer and can I tell you just how super excited I am to be teaming up with the great folks from Daisey Fresh! When Dan reached out to me about their innovative filter product I was immediately intrigued. Knowing that they’ve created a 100% Natural & Organic filter that I can put in my fridge that will extend the lifespan of my fruits and vegetables definitely caught my attention. I mean who doesn’t love fresh crisp veggies or juicy, sweet fruits?! I know this girl does! I mean knowing I can buy fresh strawberries at the farmer’s market on Saturday and still have them be just as fresh and delicious a week later is awesome! That means I can make this amazing Fresh Strawberry Compote with Grilled Angel Food Cake Cubes a whole week later and still have the berries taste just as fresh as day one! BONUS!
This is a pretty big deal for me on many levels. Daisey Fresh manufactures simple and unique revolutionary eco filter products (100% Natural & Organic) that solves the food storage problem by extending shelf life of produce on average 2 to 3 times longer than typical. I mean how awesome is that?! With summer here fresh fruits and vegetables are abundant! Knowing I can extend their shelf life with this 100% natural product is huge for me!
By collaborating with them it allows me (and them) to educate a healthier lifestyle and promote good health. I absolutely LOVE working with like-minded companies!
1. I don’t have much free time so I can’t visit the store or farmer’s market every day so knowing I have these amazing filters in my fridge is a life saver because I know my foods will stay fresher longer.
2. No longer do I have to worry about spoiled fruit & veggies because I didn’t have the time to make a dessert or use them up in 2 days. Daisey Fresh eco filters save me money (thank you!)
3. The more fruits and veggies I have on hand the more apt I am to live a healthier lifestyle.
4. These eco filters are 100% natural and organic plus you can easily recycle them.
5. They take up virtually no room in your fridge crisper drawers which means more room for fresh fruits and veggies!
So let’s dish on the yummy part of this post – what can you do with all of these amazingly fresh fruits and veggies that stay fresher longer?! I think the better question is, what can’t you do with them? And that’s where yours truly, The Kitchen Whisperer,
comes into play. I’ve teamed with the amazing folks from Daisey Fresh to give you delicious and easy recipes. You’ll be able transform all of those now fresher longer fruits and veggies into dishes that your family will be asking you to make time and time again like this Fresh Berry Compote:
Today I’m focusing on fresh strawberries although in this recipe you can use any fresh berry. You can even mix and match them – perhaps a mixed berry compote! So what’s a compote? It sounds fancy but it couldn’t be simpler. It’s just fruit that’s stewed in sugar and other spices. For fresh berries I balance mine out with some acidity (like lemon juice or even lemon zest though any citrus would work) and sugar. You can also add some cinnamon if you wish or even a splash of water to thin it out. For me I like my compote a bit on the chunky side so I went with just sugar and lemon juice atop of the fresh berries.
All of these items to a sauce pan, bring to a boil and then put to a simmer. The heat will break down the fruit and allow the natural sugars to cook down thus making the mixture thick and yummy. Now this on its own is perfect AS-IS! This is awesome on ice cream, waffles, in a crepe, in a cake – even just on a spoon. But today I wanted to show you a way you can take this compote and turn it truly into a WOW! Factor dessert!
I bought an Angel Food cake, cut it up into 1” thick cubes and then ‘grilled’ them in a skillet. It’s a dessert that doesn’t require the oven to be on and it’s one that, if the grates on your bbq allow it, you could even grill on that.
Just a quick coating of melted butter on all sides, place them into a hot skillet and sear on all sides until golden brown. Now take it up a notch and while they are still hot sprinkle on some cinnamon sugar. Think French Toast but with Angel Food cake. Genius, I know!
Now I will have to forewarn you about these little cubes of awesomeness – people will steal them while you are cooking the rest. Trust me, this happened to me with Mr. Fantabulous. He was going nuts over them. I went through an entire Angel Food Cake making these because he couldn’t stop eating them. Then when he found the strawberry compote, he kept dipping them in and eating them like finger foods.
Once all of the cubes were browned and bathed in that cinnamon sugar mixture it was time to assemble. But I had to take a minute and stare at the food. It was such a pretty setting. The berries were bright and vivid, the cake cubes were warm and toasty smelling but that didn’t last long as my tummy started to grumble which mean it was time to get in gear and plate these because I wasn’t sure how much longer I could hold back from digging in.
However I couldn’t help but think that next time we have a get together I’m making these and setting them out as a ‘build your own’ dessert bar. This would be a blast for folks to assemble and kids would love it too!
Into a bowl went a few cake cubes (okay fine – and maybe one or two into my mouth – I couldn’t help myself! This dessert is AMAZING!). Next went a few spoons of that luscious Strawberry compote. I wish you were all with me when I was making it as it smells PHENOMENAL! There is just something magical about truly fresh strawberries and the smell they give off.
One thing to keep in mind about compote, it will thicken up even more when it cools. But if you like a thinner compote feel free to add a Tbl or two of water while it’s cooking. And when you mash it, you have free reign to make it as chunky or smooth as you wish.
Now this is perfect as-is. It doesn’t need anything other than a fork and I’ll be honest, for as hungry as I was, the fork was optional. LOL But if you want you can add some fresh whipped topping on it and garnish it with some more fresh strawberries. You can do this because you have Daisey Fresh eco filters in your fridge!
Take advantage of the fruits and vegetables available this summer and use Daisey Fresh to help extend their shelf life up to 2-3 times longer! And while you’re at it, treat yourself and your family to this Strawberry Compote with Grilled Angel Food Cake Cubes.
Best Kitchen Wishes!
Lori | The Kitchen Whisperer
Recipe: Strawberry Compote with Grilled Angel Food Cake Cubes
via Lori | The Kitchen Whisperer
3 cups rough chopped fresh strawberries
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar (can use less if the berries are sweet)
1/2 tsp unsalted butter *optional
1 whole Angel food cake, cut into 1” cubes
3 Tbl melted butter, unsalted
Cinnamon Sugar (2 Tbl sugar mixed with 1 tsp cinnamon)
1. Place the berries, lemon juice and 1/4 cup of sugar in a sauce pan over high heat.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. The berries will break down during the cooking. For a chunkier compote simmer for 15 minutes using a fork or masher to break up the berries. For a smoother compote, simmer for 25 minutes and mash. If need be add a Tbl of water. *note: if the berries start to foam up, add in the butter and let it melt in. The butter will curb the foaming without altering the taste.
3. Remove the berries from the heat and place in a glass jar (a lid will be needed to store any leftovers).
4. Place a skillet over medium low heat.
5. Dip all sides of the cubed cake into the butter and place in the pan.
6. Cook 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
7. Remove to a plate and immediately sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
8. To serve add a few grilled cubes of cake to a plate and spoon over the compote. Garnish with whipped cream if desired.
9. Store any leftover compote in a sealed jar in the fridge.